domingo, 1 de febrero de 2009

GOIN' BANANAS!

Where we live in the semi-tropical lowlands of pacific Nicaragua, every season is BANANA SEASON!!!!
Recently though, we've been swimming in them. And they turn quickly here, I guess because of our high temperatures. Sooo, I have been creatively transforming the plentiful yellow bounty into edible treats.

The pic does not capture the fantastic pinky-orange color of my


Banana Papaya Smoothie
4 frozen bananas (our bananas are small)
1 cup frozen papaya

1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
1 cup of plain kefir
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of cinnamon
Blend it up for
breakfast!

My chocolate chip banana bread didn't last long enough for fotos....but I did make sure to document my first ever Banana Cream Pie! I was shooting for a simple graham cracker crust; unfortunately it's not that simple to find graham crackers in Diriamba. Instead I crunched up a bunch of these generic vanilla-like galletas. The crust turned out to be tasty and even held
together ok. (1.5 cups of crunched cookies + 1/2 cup sugar + 3TBSP of butter=easy crust)
I found a simple Banana Cream Pie recipe on Allrecipes.com: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Cream-Pie-I/Detail.aspx
I was quite proud:









Next I am eying "Chocolate-Banana Enchiladas"!! For now I will have to buy cocoa, one day I'll have homemade chocolate from the farm. When/if these enchiladas happen, I'll make sure to add pics of our cacao saplings that I started in December.





No hay comentarios.: